The NordicTrack Treadmill may be the premium brand of Icon Fitness, which is the world’s largest treadmill producer. Additionally, they make other well-known and popular models like ProForm, Reebok, and Epic.
One of the leading focuses of NordicTrack treadmill machines is innovation, and this is where they excel. Their iFit system, color displays with Internet Browsing facilities, adjustable seats and incline trainers are several reasons why NordicTrack is so popular.
iFit Technology – Run the World
The early version of iFit, which is still available on certain models, is a series of workout cards that you insert into your treadmill. Each card provides 8 weeks of training and controls the speed and incline of the treadmill and provides motivational audio coaching.
NordicTrack built on this popular feature with iFit Live – an interactive technology designed to further motivate you in achieving your fitness goals. Basically, it allows for a 2-way communication between your treadmill and the Internet.
There are two main elements to iFit Live.
- Customized Workout Programs: The most popular aspect of iFit Live is the ability to have personalized workout programs loaded onto your treadmill based on your fitness goals. For example, let’s say you want to lose a certain weight in three months. You go to iFit.com and define your goals, and iFit Live will design a series of customized progressive exercises. They will control the speed and incline of your treadmill and provide audio coaching from your choice of personal trainers, including Jillian Michaels and Elisabeth Hasselbeck. As you workout your treadmill feeds vital stats back to iFit.com, so you can track your progress. If you find the workout does not satisfy your desired level of exertion, you can increase or decrease the intensity.
- Google Maps: NordicTrack partnered with Google in providing an interactive experience that allows you to virtually run throughout the world. In the process your treadmill will simulate the terrain by changing the incline, while you can visualize the experience through Google Maps. You start by mapping out a route, either on streets or paths. If Google has a street view you can actually watch as you are running down the street, otherwise you can get the satellite or terrain view. To utilize this feature you have to either place your laptop or smart phone on the console. NordicTrack also have a couple of models that have colored displays with Android browsers. The treadmill will adjust the incline as you run up hills. There is also a library of popular routes through cityscapes and National Parks.
One last feature, if this isn’t enough. NordicTrack runs regular races where you can compete against other iFit users. You can view your position in relation to the leader and the pack. Some of these virtual races have up to 2000 participants.
As mentioned above NordicTrack have teamed up with Jillian Michaels, America’s Toughest Trainer, to develop workout programs specific to your fitness goals. Choose a progressive workout program from different categories including Lose Weight, Power Walking, Get Fit and Performance. With options expanding even more, choose from 15 different intensity levels. iFit Live automatically controls the speed and incline of treadmills and the resistance of ellipticals and bikes. Plus, you’ll hear Jillian coaching you through each workout, giving you the motivation you need to keep going and get results.
If you’re feeling a little overwhelmed and busy, then you’ll appreciate workouts with Elisabeth Hasselbeck. TV talk show host and mother of three, Elisabeth knows what it’s like to balance the challenge of staying fit with an active work and family life. Together with iFit Live, she has created the workouts you want in the time you need. Each workout features automatic speed, incline and resistance controls, so the only thing you have to worry about is pressing start! To get started, pick an intensity level for a progressive workout program from 3 different categories Getting Started, 30-Day Body Makeover and Train for a 10K.
What makes their trainers great?
It should be noted that many of the major components like motors, belts and rollers and developed in house and are built specifically for their products. This compares to other fitness equipment manufacturers that typically buy components off the shelf.
- Larger Motors. When comparing specs you will find NordicTrack has some of the largest and most powerful motors for the price. Their motors go through stringent testing for fail safe, sound immunity and brush life. In general, they provide higher output at cooler temperatures and are backed with a lifetime warranty.
- Larger Running Surfaces. Like their motors, NordicTrack offers some of the longest running surfaces for the price. Furthermore, they define the length as running surface, not treadbelt. Often manufacturers use the term “Treadbelt” to define length, but do not mention that 1″-3″ of that belt could be covered with shrouds.
- Color Displays. NordicTrack offers several models that have full color displays – a couple are touch screens. Two of their models allow you to visualize pre-installed routes from Google Maps.
- New for 2011, the NordicTrack Elite 9500 PRO treadmill has a 10″ full color touch screen display with the Google Android browser. This allows you to connect to the Internet through Wi-Fi where you can read your emails, check in with friends on Facebook, listen to music on Pandora.com, catch up with the news, and more. You can also visualize the Google Maps feature on iFit Live without a laptop.
- Sound Systems with MP3 Input. Although speakers are becoming a standard feature on many treadmills, NordicTrack offers the best sound systems.
- Cooling Fans. In addition, most treadmills include cooling fans that actually work. Many treadmills have fans that are almost worthless. They have a couple of models where the intensity of fan adjusts to your level of exertion.